Friday, January 19, 2007

A Real Education...

Today I helped a friend, Walid, buy a car at State College. 1996 Taurus GL, with 140K miles on it. It was advertised at $800.00, aprice I thought was fair enough. At three, the owner and his wife came with the car to McDs parking lot as planned. After the test drive, while still in the car, Walid negotiated the price with them. I was with Amin in our car so I didn't hear the details of the conversation. And it was so windy out there, with the temp in the 30s that I couldn't care less about anything else.

But finally, Walid came out of the Taurus to our car. He said he got the price down to $400.00. Wow! Amin and I laughed in amazement. But wait...that's not all..

So, with the price of the Taurus at $400.00, we went to the nearby AAA to finalise the transfer. Before Walid got into the building, he said he wanted to see the trunk. Walid then asked where the spare tire was. The owners said there was none, since they had AAA, they didn't worry about it. Now that was another laugh...

But the last laugh was by Walid. He got another $50.00 off just because the spare tire was missing. $350.00 for the car? Yes! You're the man, Walid!

On the way back to Amin's apartment, I told Walid that if he ever decide to sell the car, I want first dibs.

He said "Yes, of course!"

-------------
* Please click on image for larger view.

No comments: